Bon Kathin

goupon

Level 2
Master
VIP
I know we all just done with bon Pchum Ben, one of the major religious event. This month, October, we have another one call Bon Kathin. Bon Kathin is basically giving monk's clothes. These clothes consist of three layers, inner layer (sarong and shirt), outer layer (chipor), and multi-layer which is use to wrap around the body (Sangadei). Both the giver (civilian) and the receiver (monk) will all receive good karma and merits. I think this is the only time where monks is able to receive good karma and merit. What kind of good karma and merit will Giver and Receiver get? The Giver will get intelligence, beauty, well respected title with abundance of wealth, and monkhood in their last lives and will last five earth life times. As for the Receiver, they will get good karma and merits in term of five privileges. 1. Can leave the temple without notifying the head of the monk. 2) Do not need to bring upper Sangadei with them. 3) can request any food's name to cook from civilian but not meat??? (i don't understand about the meat part). Maybe it meant the monks cannot mention what kind of meat they preferred. 4) keep all robe 5) and finally kept all robe/clothes to themselves for later use. These privileges last for five months from Bon Kathin.

In my city, monk is hosting next weekend, Oct 10-12

Join your Temple for our Khmer culture and spread the word out to our Khmer community. So we all can get good karma and merit but also for the monks to get their blessing too. Do not worry about this/that Temple/Monks is bad or good. They are all just human-being like us and do make mistake. Go with good heart and will receive good merit both for you, your loves one, your decease family, relative, and friend. But at the same time, the monks will also get a blessing from US as mention above.

Keep our culture alive for the x-generation so that when foreigner ask, we all can explain to them. It would be a shame if we do not know our own root and culture. I, myself, is one of that person too. But we all learn from each other little by little and hoping that our kid will follow us.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

9scepf.jpg

For more infor:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.592363590801418.1073741851.274700422567738&type=1

Last edited:

chenna

Level 2
Legendary
VIP
I know we all just done with bon Pchum Ben, one of the major religious event. This month, October, we have another one call Bon Kathin. Bon Kathin is basically giving monk's clothes. These clothes consist of three layers, inner layer (sarong and shirt), outer layer (chipor), and multi-layer which is use to wrap around the body (Sangadei). Both the giver (civilian) and the receiver (monk) will all receive good karma and merits. I think this is the only time where monks is able to receive good karma and merit. What kind of good karma and merit will Giver and Receiver get. The Giver will get intelligence, beauty, well respected title with abundance of wealth, and monkhood in their last lives and will last five earth life times. As for the Receiver, they will get good karma and merits in term of five privileges. 1. Can leave the temple without notifying the head of the monk. 2) Do not need to bring upper Sangadei with them. 3) can request any food's name to cook from civilian but not meat??? (i don't understand about the meat part). Maybe it meant the monks cannot mention what kind of meat they preferred. 4) keep all robe 5) and finally kept all robe/clothes to themselves for later use. These privileges last for five months from Bon Kathin.

In my city, monk is hosting next weekend, Oct 10-12

Join your Temple for our Khmer culture and spread the word out to our Khmer community. So we all can get good karma and merit but also for the monks to get their blessing too. Do not worry about this/that Temple/Monks is bad or good. They are all just human-being like us and do make mistake. Go with good heart and will receive good merit both for you, your loves one, your decease family, relative, and friend. But at the same time, the monks will also get a blessing from US as mention above.

Keep our culture alive for the x-generation so that when foreigner ask, we all can explain to them. It would be as shame if we do not know our own root and culture. I, myself, is one of that person too. But we all learn from each other little by little and hoping that our kid will follow us.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

9scepf.jpg

For more infor:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.592363590801418.1073741851.274700422567738&type=1

chenna

Level 2
Legendary
VIP
thanks for posting this up Mr G...my mom was just telling me that last nite nd such a coincident u post this up...i am going to this as well...
i did enjoy bon pchum bpen..i actually felt very blessed and happy that day. glad i went...

btw, thanks for the info, i enjoyed reading..

goupon

Level 2
Master
VIP
thanks for posting this up Mr G...my mom was just telling me that last nite nd such a coincident u post this up...i am going to this as well...
i did enjoy bon pchum bpen..i actually felt very blessed and happy that day. glad i went...

Same as me. Every time I go, i always end up carrying one of those big umbrella or big Buddha status :) and walk around the Temple 3x. It was fun though. Ppl dancing "chey yam". having a great time and at same time being blessed :)

chenna

Level 2
Legendary
VIP
Same as me. Every time I go, i always end up carrying one of those big umbrella or big Buddha status :) and walk around the Temple 3x. It was fun though. Ppl dancing "chey yam". having a great time and at same time being blessed :)
wow ur such a good kid...i didnt do that..for bon pchum, i did the sand thing that supposed to wash away all ur old sin? nd i did the money thing in the bowl nd give rice to my deceased fam nd for other ghost that did not have a fam? i also did that for the monk where we have to take our shoes off nd give them rice and money in their sac? im not good at explaining lolz...
over here, we dont have chey yam dance, i always wants to see that..i think its fun nd i wud love to join it...mayb i take a ride to ur town next year for events like that to experience those khmer tradition...

i used to believe ppl say u can pray or think bout it at home nd is all the same, but for me its not really, unless u go to the temple and do the actual event nd experience urself, well thats how i felt

goupon

Level 2
Master
VIP
i used to believe ppl say u can pray or think bout it at home nd is all the same, but for me its not really, unless u go to the temple and do the actual event nd experience urself, well thats how i felt

Yep, it totally different experience at home vs in Temple. For me, at home is boring just same ppl but at Temple you get to see a lot of things going on. The 3x march around Wat, the Chey Yam, etc.

Come by, it's only 5 hrs drive :)...

Our Temple had a big empty land but now is in a process of building another one. So far, everything went well. In the pic, u see that high hill, that's in construction. So far so good. See pic below.
30skrqc.jpg

21e5013.jpg

This one finished a few year ago. 2 floor apartment. i 4got how many bedroom. As of now, we have 15 monks. there's also another one toward the very end (see pic above where a lot of ppl). That was just to be a huge garage. We turn/remodel that one to Wat.
1zlzq61.jpg

Inside of remodel garage:
e7m88k.jpg

25ftx6w.jpg

15wyvjm.jpg

Khmer Palelai Buddhist Monastery
2701 S, 58th St.
Phila., PA 19143

Last edited:

chenna

Level 2
Legendary
VIP
5 hours drive is not to bad at all...
wow the constuction looks awesome. u guys must b very excited...i wish we have something going on like that over here...i wont mind donating at all when it comes to our culture...and for the ppl that have a place to enjoy their tradition.

i bet new years over there is fun

Sopheaktra

Level 1
Wanderer
Yep, it totally different experience at home vs in Temple. For me, at home is boring just same ppl but at Temple you get to see a lot of things going on. The 3x march around Wat, the Chey Yam, etc.

Come by, it's only 5 hrs drive :)...

Our Temple had a big empty land but now is in a process of building another one. So far, everything went well. In the pic, u see that high hill, that's in construction. So far so good. See pic below.
30skrqc.jpg

21e5013.jpg

This one finished a few year ago. 2 floor apartment. i 4got how many bedroom. As of now, we have 15 monks. there's also another one toward the very end (see pic above where a lot of ppl). That was just to be a huge garage. We turn/remodel that one to Wat.
1zlzq61.jpg

Inside of remodel garage:
e7m88k.jpg

25ftx6w.jpg

15wyvjm.jpg

Khmer Palelai Buddhist Monastery
2701 S, 58th St.
Phila., PA 19143

thank for sharing these pictures, I like Bon Kathin, but in France the event is not as big as in USA, because Wat in France is small, and we do not have a big community like in USA !!!