Num Banh Chok Samlor Praher Khmer (នំបញ្ចុក សម្លប្រហើរ )

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
khmer-noodle.jpg

Num banh chok is very popular for Cambodian, in which it can be served with many kinds of soup such as Khmer curry, Namya soup, sour soup, and the most traditional soup is Samlor Praher Khmer (Khmer fish soup with the kroeung). Num banh chok samlor praher Khmer are selling throughout the country. We usually see the sellers carry with a yoke on their shoulders, walking around. Cambodian like to eat num banh chok as their breakfast also in the evening after work. Num banh chok samlor praher Khmer is also served in various celebration and national festival when there are guesses to invite or family members are together. If you would like to find out how samlor praher Khmer is cooked, read on the below.

926601do9y3g7tff.gif

Samlor Praher Khmer (នំបញ្ចុក សម្លប្រហើរ )
Ingredients:
- 500 g of fish: washed and cooked in boiling water in a cooking pan, then remove the bones, need only flesh.
- The Kroeung: lemongrass leaves, sliced into very tiny pieces; finger root (ខ្ជាយ), thinly sliced; turmeric thinly slice; 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced. Then finely pounded all of them in the mortar.
- 250 ml of coconut milk (optional)
- 50 g of prohok (Khmer fish paste)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce

Fresh vegetables for serving with Num Banh Chok Samlor Praher Khmer

Preparation:
- After the Kroeung have been finely pounded, add the fish flesh into the mortar with a little salt, continue to pound until the fish flesh and the Kroeung mixed well together. Take it out to a bowl, add sugar and fish sauce.
- Re-heat the soup that used to cook the fish, bring it to boiling again. After that add the bowl of fish flesh with the Kroeung in, next add the coconut milk.

- Place prohok in a small bowl, pour some hot soup into the bowl and crush it, then pour the ‘prohok water’ into the soup.
- The last thing to do is to adjust the taste, then the soup is done after boiled

1167354yin8tsiepj.gif

The original taste of samlor praher Khmer is cooked without the coconut milk. But it’s added depend on the favorite of each person. Add more turmeric if we want the soup turns to be yellow, however, we will feel too much of turmeric in the soup.

Num banh chok samlor praher Khmer is served with many kinds of fresh vegetables such as bean sprout, cucumber, banana flower, water lily stem, coriander,Banana Flower and other Cambodian vegetables: pka snorw, raing leaf…

1167354yin8tsiepj.gif

Attachments

• l1050373.jpg
    l1050373.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 522

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Thank you for the recipe theary. I always enjoy eating this. One of the best Khmer food ever. :D

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
View attachment 498
Num banh chok is very popular for Cambodian, in which it can be served with many kinds of soup such as Khmer curry, Namya soup, sour soup, and the most traditional soup is Samlor Praher Khmer (Khmer fish soup with the kroeung). Num banh chok samlor praher Khmer are selling throughout the country. We usually see the sellers carry with a yoke on their shoulders, walking around. Cambodian like to eat num banh chok as their breakfast also in the evening after work. Num banh chok samlor praher Khmer is also served in various celebration and national festival when there are guesses to invite or family members are together. If you would like to find out how samlor praher Khmer is cooked, read on the below.

View attachment 496

Samlor Praher Khmer (នំបញ្ចុក សម្លប្រហើរ )
Ingredients:
- 500 g of fish: washed and cooked in boiling water in a cooking pan, then remove the bones, need only flesh.
- The Kroeung: lemongrass leaves, sliced into very tiny pieces; finger root (ខ្ជាយ), thinly sliced; turmeric thinly slice; 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced. Then finely pounded all of them in the mortar.
- 250 ml of coconut milk (optional)
- 50 g of prohok (Khmer fish paste)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce

Fresh vegetables for serving with Num Banh Chok Samlor Praher Khmer

Preparation:
- After the Kroeung have been finely pounded, add the fish flesh into the mortar with a little salt, continue to pound until the fish flesh and the Kroeung mixed well together. Take it out to a bowl, add sugar and fish sauce.
- Re-heat the soup that used to cook the fish, bring it to boiling again. After that add the bowl of fish flesh with the Kroeung in, next add the coconut milk.

- Place prohok in a small bowl, pour some hot soup into the bowl and crush it, then pour the ‘prohok water’ into the soup.
- The last thing to do is to adjust the taste, then the soup is done after boiled

View attachment 495
The original taste of samlor praher Khmer is cooked without the coconut milk. But it’s added depend on the favorite of each person. Add more turmeric if we want the soup turns to be yellow, however, we will feel too much of turmeric in the soup.

Num banh chok samlor praher Khmer is served with many kinds of fresh vegetables such as bean sprout, cucumber, banana flower, water lily stem, coriander,Banana Flower and other Cambodian vegetables: pka snorw, raing leaf…

View attachment 495[/quote
You make so hungry right now. I like mine in red Thai curry

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Dear Berry,
I oldest boy also like it in Red curry as well:sneaky:

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Thank you for the recipe theary. I always enjoy eating this. One of the best Khmer food ever. :D
Hey, I do agree with you, Hunnie..... it is very hard to say No to our great khmer foods.......because we are khmer ..lol...

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Dear Berry,
I oldest boy also like it in Red curry as well:sneaky:

My mom would make it with the curry style and give me a whole pot to eat at home. I get it at least once every two month as a treat from her. :D

The yellow Khmer soup, I mostly eat it at her house.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
My mom would make it with the curry style and give me a whole pot to eat at home. I get it at least once every two month as a treat from her. :D

The yellow Khmer soup, I mostly eat it at her house.
Your mom is very sweet<3+<3

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Your mom is very sweet<3+<3

Several years of cooking experience, she can batch up a whole pot of many Khmer soup in the quickness.
I never have to wait long for a good delicious meal.
Everyday is like Thanksgiving to me when I drop by her house. :D