Vegetarian Dishes

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
What are some good Khmer vegetarian dishes our there? I had a few so far including fried rice with veggies, mushrooms, tofu and fried eggs.

Sreymup

ひきこもり
Swordsman
Wanderer

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
somlaw machu kriss with vegetables of your choice, I prefer eggplants.
stir fried noodles with veggies
stir fried bean sprouts with tofu
nom (that Khmer salad)
bok lahong

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Rei, these sound good . you might try it.

but Bok Lahong contain Prorhok, should it consider Vegetarian Dish too?

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Last edited:

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
somlaw machu kriss with vegetables of your choice, I prefer eggplants.
nom (that Khmer salad)
bok lahong
i am going to try them:D

Sreymup

ひきこもり
Swordsman
Wanderer
I am craving for tofu so much now xD

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
I am craving for tofu so much now xD
How you prefer your tofu?

btw, Nice signature (y), Sreymup dear.
Cherry blossoms is one of my favorite:D

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I think it would be a Khmer dish if it's prepare and cooked by a Khmer person. It isn't always necessary to follow someone's else recipe if you can cook the basic food already. For someone that is cooking the dish for themselves, you have the option to put whatever you enjoy eating and go wild with your own dish. You will love it because it's all the stuff you enjoy eating.

When I feel like eating a vegetarian dish, I would gather all the veggies that I felt like eating for that day and stir fry them all in the pot. Use the sauce to my liking and enjoy a dish of all my favorite vegetable in a dish make by myself.

Certain vegetable or mushroom can make a vegetarian dish pretty pricy at the restaurant and they don't give you much of the tasty vegetable. I would just get it from the supermarket and cook it myself. I will have leftover veggies for the next day to prepare myself another vegetarian dish.

Or you can always go for the all time basic mee su with no meat that the Khmer monk is having at the temple. :D

japchae.jpg

Noodle with veggies is an all time favorite dish. :):)

img_0851.jpg

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
Mee su looks good for a vegetarian dish, I'll just have to bug my mom to make it. Thanks for the suggestions, will be handy for my vegetarian journey for these next coming months.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Mee su looks good for a vegetarian dish, I'll just have to bug my mom to make it. Thanks for the suggestions, will be handy for my vegetarian journey for these next coming months.

You're welcome, Rei. When all fails, I always go on yelp to look up a nice vegetarian restuarant and dig in. :D
Hope you got some local place to turn to. I love vegetarian food too, they can be really tasty. I enjoy eating my veggies. :) You will do just fine. Just don't think about meat. :rolleyes:

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
I'm not missing out on the meat that much, better than I thought. I'll be fine. =]

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
May I ask why you are doing this?

I tried to do vegetarian diet when I was having digestion problem but I lacked the motivation to follow through.

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
May I ask why you are doing this?

I tried to do vegetarian diet when I was having digestion problem but I lacked the motivation to follow through.

My youngest sister (26) died 3 weeks ago. I can't become a monk, so going no-meat til her 100th day ceremony is the least I can do for her. I'm also doing it for myself -- changing my lifestyle up a bit in trying to cope with everything. I'm honestly lost in life right now.

Hunnie, thanks for the support.

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I heard about becoming a monk but didn't know that a person can substitute, for lack of a better word, eating vegetarian diet for being a monk. Interesting.
We're all here for you should you need our help. :)

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
I heard about becoming a monk but didn't know that a person can substitute, for lack of a better word, eating vegetarian diet for being a monk. Interesting.
We're all here for you should you need our help. :)

I don't think it's much of a substitute, it's more of an escape to ease my suffering. Although my parent told me that I'd would be more suitable as a monk if I'm younger than my sister. Going no-meat is more challenging for me anyway.

Also, it helps me think by going no-meat, I can save a small fraction of animal lives that are being taken and consumed in billions during these three months and hopefully in return, some "bon" for my sister's afterlife.

And thanks, Hamster.