What Is Your Favorite Khmer Dessert?

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
The question is in the title. :)

I like 'em all. My fave is probably pumpkin/squash cake. Since this is pumpkin season, I crave that pumpkin cake wrapped in banana leaves. Is it called Num Lapov? I like my desserts semi-sweet.

images

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Many of them are good depending on the mood.

I would say I like the Pumpkin Coconut Milk desert. :)

restaurant_dessert.jpg

Cooked pumpkin and tapioca in the pot. Pour coconut milk and cook in medium heat.
Stirs with fresh coconut cream.

Sreymup

ひきこもり
Swordsman
Wanderer
tumblr_m92up37vCn1r6wsz1o1_500.jpg

88f5e6dfb97461c2ae1af35c0ebd8c8f.jpg

1d30357507c815b1d22f84cfde376319.jpg

I forgot what this is called but I know it has some kind of honey and chunks of sugar inside???

I don't like this green desert. It's slimy and you have to pour milk into it.

I couldn't find a picture of this other desert but it looks like eggs.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
The white ball with palm sugar inside is call Num plae ai
My mom used to make it a lot when I was younger.
She taught me how to make it for my economics class in Middle School.
I was teaching the whole class how to make it for a 10 minutes session.

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I would say I like the Pumpkin Coconut Milk desert. :)
Cooked pumpkin and tapioca in the pot. Pour coconut milk and cook in medium heat.
Stirs with fresh coconut cream.
So coconut milk differs from coconut cream?

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
I remembered when I was everyday talking from school always stop by the market eating Lurt before heading home

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
1d30357507c815b1d22f84cfde376319.jpg

I forgot what this is called but I know it has some kind of honey and chunks of sugar inside???

I don't like this green desert. It's slimy and you have to pour milk into it.

I couldn't find a picture of this other desert but it looks like eggs.
wow it is my favorite desert here....make me so hungry looking all these pics:rage:

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I've never had the pumpkin coconut milk dessert but I like something similar made with bananas.

They just replace the pumpkin with the banana, I ate both and they have the same stuff. I enjoy eating the banana one too.

Sreymup

ひきこもり
Swordsman
Wanderer
And I don't like the bananas that they sell in a can :(

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
The white ball with palm sugar inside is call Num plae ai
My mom used to make it a lot when I was younger.
She taught me how to make it for my economics class in Middle School.
I was teaching the whole class how to make it for a 10 minutes session.
That dessert Num plae ai make me so hungry. It is my favorite. I haven't eat that dessert for 40 years now. I sure wish somebody would make them and sell I would love to have some. Hunnie if you know how to make it. I need to move next to you. I love khmer desserts. If I ever go back to visit khmer country, that's all I want to eat every day just khmer desserts. No noddles soup

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
That dessert Num plae ai make me so hungry. It is my favorite. I haven't eat that dessert for 40 years now. I sure wish somebody would make them and sell I would love to have some. Hunnie if you know how to make it. I need to move next to you. I love khmer desserts. If I ever go back to visit khmer country, that's all I want to eat every day just khmer desserts. No noddles soup

What states do you stay in? Or you live farther than that?

Num plae ai is very easy to make. It's one of the easiest khmer dessert to make. I just don't know if you can get your hand on the supplies to make it over where you live though.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Cambodia: Num Plae Ai – Khmer Traditional Sweet.

“Kill Husband Cake” aka Num Plae Ai.
Num plae ai (ផ្លែអាយ) or glutinous rice balls with sugar candy filling is a kind of Khmer traditional sweet. The cake is made into small slippery rice balls with palm sugar filled. It is a kind of special sweet for sugar lovers.

Num Plae Ai – Khmer Sweet aka “kill husband cake”.

The origin of its name is uncertain. Num means cake, plae means fruit, and ai is just a word of name. So it's to be translated as ai fruit cake which we don't know what is ai fruit.

According to a Khmer legend, num plae ai has a another name as ‘kill husband cake’. A wife preprared num plae ai for her husband to serve in order to kill him because he has betrayed her by having a love affair with anther woman.

The filling of num plae ai is very sweet and the sticky rice flour cover is slippery, so it’s easily get stuck in the husband’s throat and cause him to choke. However, the reality proved that there is no such danger serving num plae ai.

8.png

Recipe for Num plae ai.
Num plae ai is very easy to prepare, here is how.

• Ingredients
- 250 g sticky rice flour
- 100 g palm sugar candy: cut it into small cube pieces (about the size of your finger tip)
- young grated coconut

• Preparation
Mix sticky rice with about 100 ml of water, then the flour turns into a form of soft that we can make it into any shape. Now make it into balls of about 1.5 cm in diameter, then insert the sugar cube into the ball as filling.

Have a pot of boiling water ready on fire with moderate heat. After the ball is inserted with sugar cube, put it into the pot, when the balls float up, they are cooked. Take it out to another bow of cold water. One minute later, drain it out to a basket with holes. The process is continuosly like this.

Num plae ai is usually packed up in a package made of banana leaf which look very nice. Each package contains 5-7 balls and is top with young grated coconut.

Break the ball with one bite, you will immediately feel the special sweetness of num plae ai.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
thanks for Num plae ai `s Recipe, Hunnie.
I will try to make it.... since it is my favorite dessert
:D

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
thanks for Num plae ai `s Recipe, Hunnie.
I will try to make it.... since it is my favorite dessert
:D

Please do. I used to enjoy eating it before, but after eating it too much, I needed to take a break. The palm sugar was too much for a little girl like me. My mom always make it before, I never have to go hungry for it. My mom enjoy eating dessert so she make several Khmer dessert at home. I was a lucky girl. :D

As we get older we do try to eat more healthier. I love the coconut jelly dessert, it's healthier if you use pure coconut juice to make it. The middle jelly is all pure coconut juice used to make it become jello.

P1040897.JPG