Intelligent Vs. Attractive

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Who would you go for: someone who is very attractive but not intelligent OR very intelligent but ugly?

Well that's hard one for me. I dated both types to be honest and I must say, its better to find a balance between the two.

However, I did dated a girl that was both smart and intelligent! She was also very manipulating and I would never date a girl like that ever again cause I'm too scared, I don't ever want a woman to overshadow me. I wouldn't mind being that guy on "The Wolf of Wallstreet," just having lots of money and paying for high class prostitutes. I don't think I can ever look at woman the same again after my experiences with them. Its better not to put woman on a pedestal but just see them as regular people.

Last edited:

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Best not to put any one person on a pedestal, period. Humans are imperfect after all. You think you know them, and then they surprise you, and not the good surprise either.

iampheng

Commoner
Not wanting a woman to overshadow you may be a personal problem with self-esteem happy...actually, I hear that a lot. Even the smartest guys I know are intimidated by an equally smart girl - she has to be a little bit below them or something is what I was told. That's unfortunate, but I'm a woman, so I have a different perspective. But my perspective doesn't necessarily clash because I don't want a man that's beneath me in intellect either LOL or he must have some quality that I respect and admire but lack in myself.

I think it's better to be balanced also - most people have one or the other in some amount and it is never so extreme in real life. But between smart and good-looking, I would take smart because none of us stay beautiful forever.

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I don't mind if the girl is just as smart or smarter. It'd be like Guo Jing and Huang Yung. Just don't be bossy.

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I don't think beauty will not cover for everything. If a girl is pretty but she is so dumb and has no brain then it will make her so urgly. In life it needs more brain than just the look. The look is just a frosting.

Unfortunately, looks is big in this world. Good looking people have greater advantages and get preferential treatment (at least at the start).
The same goes for the color of your skin and many other things as well such as eye color and height. Sad to say, the way you look by birth often will factor in your choices of occupation, not just the way you look but your gene pool. Beautiful people tend to be entertainers and average looking people then to hold jobs that are more technical. But there are rare instances where that is not true.

But like you said, in general, better looking people get picked first. The ugly ones (me) have to work harder to find our niches in life because we are last to get picked up by employers. This is me after becoming ugly. When I was good looking, I never had a problem getting a job. After my face had aged, I had extreme difficulty getting people to hire me. It was an EYE OPENER.

I do feel sympathy for ugly and fat people, I really do. They have it hard when it comes to employment and relationships. Funny too. Height plays into it. I am a short guy and it sucks btw, I"m only 5" 1'.

Last edited:

iampheng

Commoner
I am sure you did not have a problem getting a job because you are qualified in your field and not because of your looks - unless of course you were a model or something. Height is a huge factor for men, but not so much for women. Looks on the other hand (face/body/aging) certainly plays a part in marketability for women (field dependent). Although good looking people receive initial preferential treatment as Hamster suggested this can only get you so far.

The girls in my family - the beautiful ones are now married with kids and the not so pretty ones are either getting a technical degree or an advanced degree. Guess which camp I fall in? lol

I am sure you did not have a problem getting a job because you are qualified in your field and not because of your looks - unless of course you were a model or something. Height is a huge factor for men, but not so much for women. Looks on the other hand (face/body/aging) certainly plays a part in marketability for women (field dependent). Although good looking people receive initial preferential treatment as Hamster suggested this can only get you so far.

The girls in my family - the beautiful ones are now married with kids and the not so pretty ones are either getting a technical degree or an advanced degree. Guess which camp I fall in? lol
You fall in the sexy n smart category. Hey can I get your number?

I reckon most ppl who say intelligence over looks is lying.

The society we live in sadly forces perfection in how we look. You walk into a bar, you'll prefer looking at the pretty girls straight away......

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP

The society we live in sadly forces perfection in how we look. You walk into a bar, you'll prefer looking at the pretty girls straight away......
Welcome to the forum, krissknife.

Please stop by more often

pocketkiriyama

Commoner
I have to agree with Kriss on this one. Physical attraction is the first thing people look for. It's the same for almost every species on the planet.

believe

Commoner
Wanderer

Hmmm, I'd say it's not entirely true. Of course, there's a lot of guys who are looking for someone with a good personality........But intelligence---it's a different story. The title of this topic should be changed, becuz one is a personal quality versus a physical appearance.

Anyway, you're right though, especially when someone comes up to you and say, "I only look for someone with a personality and not the looks." Straight up bullshit. But most dudes want to see a beautiful girl in front of our faces, but it doesn't mean the "ugly" girls could be never be beautiful. This one girl, who i thought was unattractive, grew on me as time passed by. She was my co-worker for a long while and she became beautiful after knowing her personality.

Althea

Commoner
can't I have very intelligent AND very attractive? still, at the end of the day, intelligence triumphs over attractiveness...

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
what if you have neither intelligence or attractiveness? man, i'll see at the speed dating corner 7 o'clock, sharp...and hopefully a butt ugly girl would give us a chance to shine.