Pho

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I made pho today. It turned out very good. Comparable to the pho served at the restaurant. But I don't think it's worth it to make at home. Too expensive. The ingredients alone cost me almost 60 bucks. And the time it took to prepare. Maybe those who cook it on a regular basis doesn't see what the deal is, haha. Anyway, next time I crave pho I'll just get it at the restaurant.

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Anyway, I used this guy's recipe. However, I only used 8 quarts of water because I don't have a big enough pot. And it turned out very good. I bet if you use 10 quarts water as he suggested it will turn out super bland.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
6 people. Next time I'll just take my guests out to eat.

I never attempt to make pho before because it requires too much special ingredient that I don't have laying around to make that special aroma that pho needs. I guess if you have soup left to prepare for the next day meal, it would be worth it to actually cook it at home. I would make other soup noodle and have enough to put in the refrigerator for next day meal. Once in a while is okay to prepare such a nice meal for your people. The comfort at home is perfect for a family gathering.

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
I made pho today. It turned out very good. Comparable to the pho served at the restaurant. But I don't think it's worth it to make at home. Too expensive. The ingredients alone cost me almost 60 bucks. And the time it took to prepare. Maybe those who cook it on a regular basis doesn't see what the deal is, haha. Anyway, next time I crave pho I'll just get it at the restaurant.

I just made some over the weekend, it only cost me about $30 to feed he family. My family likes it when I make it. We usually eat it over a period of 2-3 days.

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
Well some of the stuff I already had, that could be why it cost less for me to make.

MonyK

Commoner
Cooking usually saves you money....lol. The thing about cooking is.... the main way to save money is to eat the same thing over and over since you buy in bulk. If you're like me and mess up when you cook, there goes your savings.

goupon

Level 2
Master
VIP
$60 is very expensive. Go to Vietnamese or Chinese supermarket at your local store and they should sell this small packet which had all the ingredient. It had all type, beef, chicken, Phnom Penh favor, etc. It's taste just like Pho Restaurant. Almost look like this one but i remember it's green package. Anyway, u can find all kind of favor. Even Beef Stew had it's own package :). My made last time and everyone said it taste just like in the restaurant. :)
101_0052LB.JPG

Last edited:

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Pho is easy to make, but having to gather all the little ingredient will hype up the price for the first time. Next time you need to make pho, you will already have some of the ingredient sitting at home. The packet is a great idea but making from scratch is always better for taste. If I decided to make pho, I would pay more to get the natural taste because I like to get praise and rewarded for actually making it myself. My boyfriend will have to treat me extra good for me to consider wasting my day to make him pho. A $7 buck bowl of pho from the restaurant will save me a lot of hassle. I really hate to shop for all those ingredient. Some of them, I never even know how it's suppose to look like at the store. o_O

If you're planning to sit at home, have the time to relax but don't want to be a lazy ass, making pho is an enjoyment. I actually enjoy cooking when I starts cooking. I'm lucky because I have a big screen tv in the kitchen to watch while I'm cooking. Put on Netflix and I'm good to go. I wish I can find a boyfriend that can cook or is willing to cook like you Hamster. At the end of the day, I still enjoy being lazy. :D

image.jpg

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
@Groupon, this was my first time making it so I went all out to get the freshest ingredients possible. Now that I know packaged spices are just as good, I will use them from now on. Anything to save a buck or too. :D

@Hunnie, I have some spices left over so yes, I will spend less money next time. Eating out has taken a toll on my wallet so I have to cook.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
@Groupon, this was my first time making it so I went all out to get the freshest ingredients possible. Now that I know packaged spices are just as good, I will use them from now on. Anything to save a buck or too. :D

@Hunnie, I have some spices left over so yes, I will spend less money next time. Eating out has taken a toll on my wallet so I have to cook.

The best part is now you has the experience in making pho. :)

bohok

Commoner
Speaking of pho: the best pho I've ever had in my life was in Pho 95 in Denver, Colorado last year. I still drool every time I think about it :(

Beau

Commoner
My sister-in-law is Vietnamese and she makes excellent pho. The area in Sydney where most Cambodians live is also the area where most Vietnamese people live :)

Sreymup

ひきこもり
Swordsman
Wanderer
I wish I had some right now :(

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I just ate pho the other day with my parents in Long Beach.
Why no ones post a picture of pho? Why not? :D

4809491_orig.jpg