Scared...

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Hamster is doing fine here. :D

There's a lot of city safe near Long Beach that are nice to live in. I don't personally live in Long Beach myself. It's just nice to be able to be driving distance to Long Beach because it has all the Khmer stuff. Gangster that are trying to become rappers aren't real gangster. He wants to get somewhere in life just like everyone else. :)

smey

Commoner
VIP
Hamster is doing fine here. :D

There's a lot of city safe near Long Beach that are nice to live in. I don't personally live in Long Beach myself. It's just nice to be able to be driving distance to Long Beach because it has all the Khmer stuff. Gangster that are trying to become rappers aren't real gangster. He wants to get somewhere in life just like everyone else. :)
That is soo true I so agree with that 1 hunnie and that guy in the video he has a sick tattoo. Damn that's nice I would want a tattoo just like that jk

Yeah I am positive these guys have bright futures laying ahead for them (y). No, I agree somewhat to Hunnie's view that he's just trying to get somewhere in life and that rappers aren't real gangster, that's very true. Real gangsters don't rap at all, most of them just rob people, deal drugs, and pimp woman. That's what a gangster is, strictly speaking. I'm sure these guys don't really do that, I can't say for sure. But, its not really a good thing to live this way and I don't support this kind of lifestyle, in fact, I'm totally against it. I don't think people should tat themselves up to the neck, stay home, smoke weed, free-load of family, what not. Its just not positive. Contrary to what people might believe, its not cool either. I seen this kinda thing in the 80s and 90s growing up in the hood, (yes I from the hood too), and I was in a gang, but I'm shocked to see this in 2014 - it like their stuck in a time capsule and never traveled outside their hood. Its quite sad. I feel sorry for them. People from low-income backgrounds can be capable and talented as any, they just have to try harder but this isn't the way, this is a cop-out, and it isn't being tough, its being stupid.

Last edited:

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
When I used to live in the hood and seeing these types of people everyday, I wasn't afraid. But after being away for a long time, when seeing them again I get scared. So yeah, I can relate. I agree with Happy. I don't care if they are not gangsters, they shouldn't embrace this kind of lifestyle. It's their choice, sure, but what would happen if the real gangsters drive by and see you like this?

Happy, I used to not want to go to Cambodia after hearing horror stories from people who had visited. But my aunt who went told me that Cambodia is just like any other places, you just have to be cautious and avoid the risky areas, heck she said it's safer than L.A., California. Cali is a big state, there are decent cities.

When I used to live in the hood and seeing these types of people everyday, I wasn't afraid. But after being away for a long time, when seeing them again I get scared. So yeah, I can relate. I agree with Happy. I don't care if they are not gangsters, they shouldn't embrace this kind of lifestyle. It's their choice, sure, but what would happen if the real gangsters drive by and see you like this?

Happy, I used to not want to go to Cambodia after hearing horror stories from people who had visited. But my aunt who went told me that Cambodia is just like any other places, you just have to be cautious and avoid the risky areas, heck she said it's safer than L.A., California. Cali is a big state, there are decent cities.

My uncle and other family members had very nice things to say about their many trips to Cambodia until the time they got robbed and had to cut their vacation short. While they were sleeping in a hotel near Angkor Wat, someone stuck a long wooden pole through their window to grab their belongings. When they woke up from the noise, it was already too late. As they looked out the window, they could see the thieves running down the street with his wife's purse along with their money. They told the hotel owners and they were given a few bucks to make it back to Phnom Penh. After that incident, it broke their heart that their countrymen would do that to them.

I'm saying to each their own. I have no interest in Cambodia because of my experiences growing up with Cambodian people here in the US and of course, my own personal experience with my own family. People have a right to make their own choices and I respect people who chooses to travel to anywhere they want, I don't care (y), whether that be Long Beach or Phnom Penh, its none of my business. Its also none of my business if people decide to be gangsters. We all have the right to make our own choices. That's what America stands for, freedom.

Still, I hope in 2024, there's no Khmer people still acting like this in the same hood wearing the same kind of clothes. These guys stuck in the 80s man, I feel bad for them. What can we do about it? Can't the city do something to help rehabilitate them into mainstream society? I don't blame the government for trying to send these people back to Cambodia. My god, they are Khmer but they are acting like poor Mexican and Black people! Do your own stuff at least or mix it up a little bit. These guys copy the same style of speech, clothing, music, attitude that another group of people already did, a long time ago. I think its a joke to the rest of world. I have more respect for Khmer doing boater music on youtube, at least, they are true to themselves and their culture.

Last edited:

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Still, I hope in 2024, there's no Khmer people still acting like this in the same hood wearing the same kind of clothes. These guys stuck in the 80s man, I feel bad for them. What can we do about it? Can't the city do something to help rehabilitate them into mainstream society?
Well you said it, that people have the right to choose, not much the city can do about it if they choose to live their life like this. All we can do is wait for them to grow out of it.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
But my aunt who went told me that Cambodia is just like any other places, you just have to be cautious and avoid the risky areas,
Hi Paoun hamster,
i do agree with your aunt on this (y)

Last edited:

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
My uncle and other family members had very nice things to say about their many trips to Cambodia until the time they got robbed and had to cut their vacation short. While they were sleeping in a hotel near Angkor Wat, someone stuck a long wooden pole through their window to grab their belongings. When they woke up from the noise, it was already too late. As they looked out the window, they could see the thieves running down the street with his wife's purse along with their money. They told the hotel owners and they were given a few bucks to make it back to Phnom Penh. After that incident, it broke their heart that their countrymen would do that to men.

I'm saying to each their own. I have no interest in Cambodia because of my experiences growing up with Cambodian people here in the US and of course, my own personal experience with my own family. People have a right to make their own choices and I respect people who chooses to travel to anywhere they want, I don't care (y), whether that be Long Beach or Phnom Penh, its none of my business. Its also none of my business if people decide to be gangsters. We all have the right to make our own choices. That's what America stands for, freedom.

Still, I hope in 2024, there's no Khmer people still acting like this in the same hood wearing the same kind of clothes. These guys stuck in the 80s man, I feel bad for them. What can we do about it? Can't the city do something to help rehabilitate them into mainstream society? I don't blame the government for trying to send these people back to Cambodia. My god, they are Khmer but they are acting like poor Mexican and Black people! Do your own stuff at least or mix it up a little bit. These guys copy the same style of speech, clothing, music, attitude that another group of people already did, a long time ago. I think its a joke to the rest of world. I have more respect for Khmer doing boater music on youtube, at least, they are true to themselves and their culture.

It's correct that some or many do have wonderful trips to and back from Cambodia. My uncle and grandparents including those who live there never encounter any issues ever. But I still hear story where some ends up with horrible situation that puts you in the dark where, "I'll never go there". My boyfriend said that some friends end up getting kidnap where their parents has to send money down there or their kids will be kill. The money was send and their kids finally gets to come back to America. He also told me an incident that his aunt who lived in Vietnam got stabbed many times in her own house, but lived through it to tell the story.

Well, hearing the ten scary stories over the one thousandths happy story, you take your pick, do you want to travel to those third country and take the risk to see if you'll hit those few encounter on you? :)

I never want to think or hear about it, but I do come to a conclusion that I enjoy America because I live safe so far until now. I feel where you are coming from Happy about all these. My parents work so hard to come to America. My mom told me that she never want to go back. There are people who pay for marriage to be here, I kind of got a hint where is better by that. No where is perfect, but I chose the place where everyone tried to be at.

Well, hearing the ten scary stories over the one thousandths happy story, you take your pick, do you want to travel to those third country and take the risk to see if you'll hit those few encounter on you? :)

I never want to think or hear about it, but I do come to a conclusion that I enjoy America because I live safe so far until now. I feel where you are coming from Happy about all these. My parents work so hard to come to America. My mom told me that she never want to go back. There are people who pay for marriage to be here, I kind of got a hint where is better by that. No where is perfect, but I chose the place where everyone tried to be at.

I never want to take that kinda risk either, unless I'm with an entourage. I wouldn't mind going to Cambodia with 10 other people, preferably with 20 people. I know a guy who went to Mexico by himself and got robbed, they took everything and left him for naked on the streets. He was also a mexican, my friend.

Yup, I met a lot of people who came to America from Cambodia by marriage, all the time to some ugly old guy 10 years older than the girl. It hints to me also, how bad Cambodia is for a lot of people, but I'm sure there's people there that are wealthy and happier and have a totally different opinion. What countries are totally safe for travelers? I know anywhere in the US is a good start. So if I were to go to Srok Khmer, by myself, and I know people who done it and came home safe, where should I stay away from? The brothel? Gonna be hard, probably be the first place I go to lolz.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
So if I were to go to Srok Khmer, by myself, and I know people who done it and came home safe, where should I stay away from? The brothel? Gonna be hard, probably be the first place I go to lolz.

Hahaha, I know you wouldn't even want to go there. ;)

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I get scared after reading about depersonalization, mental illness and schizophrenia.

I get scared after reading about depersonalization, mental illness and schizophrenia.
You forget stupidity and dullness, those things scares the crap outta me lolz. I beat myself up everyday for not being smart as I once was before the heavy drug use. Someone told me, people are like glass, they break easily, and I think its very true. The more stuff that you go through, the more toll it has on your mind, especially when your mind hasn't mature. You know, off topic, but I was just thinking the other night, of the billions of people in the world, have many are actually living a great life vs. the ones that are constantly suffering from something, whether its poverty, MENTAL ILLNESS, social issues, personal struggles, abuse, slavery, child trafficking, etc. What the percentage of people that are living it up the fullest?

14 millions Cambodians
1.3 billion Chinese
300 million Americans
300,000 Cambodian Americans

Statistics I gather so far on human population as of 2010. If you think about it, that's a lot of people in general. How many of those people starting from birth to death, lived a meaningful existence. I think about this so many times over and over because I grew up thinking I was gonna have an awesome life, better than most folks I associate it, then I dropped unimaginably low, quite literally overnight. I constantly try to find the meaning in it and still am...all I can come up with that, well, shit happens in life. It can happen to anyone. I blame it on bad luck. Tomorrow can be anyone last day on Earth. You never know when you get in your car that it will be your last drive as you get into a fatal accident, like Paul Walker. The passengers on the Malaysian plane would have never thought that they on were their last flight. I try to take life one day at a time, if I survive each day, I consider myself lucky. I don't take my time here for granted anymore.

Those things you mention can happen to anyone at anytime :(. Like me, I never though I would be a college drop-out or drug addict. Man I thought I was gonna be a millionaire by the time I was 25 lolz, I'm now 32 and I'm in debt. We just don't know for sure how our lives are gonna turn out, that a crazy idea to me, how life is wrought with so much uncertainty.

Hamster, you're a writer, did I use the word wrought in the proper way?

Last edited:

iampheng

Commoner
People in Cambodia are very different from Cambodian Americans...for one, they deeply dislike the lifestyle we see in the video. Those people are strict about appropriate dress and decorum. I got some bad stories 'bout Cambodia that happened to me - but honestly that other person was another Cambodian American.

Cambodia is a lovely place. Visiting and learning there taught me that Cambodian Americans in our generation know very little about what it means to be a Khmer person. I was schooled.

iampheng

Commoner
You know what I really dislike? It's when other Asian people think all Khmer people are gangstas. I meet a whole lotta other Khmer people who are surprised I'm getting an advanced degree...although they have one too...like they did not expect that there are Khmer people who are Khmer people like them...

Anyway, actually...I never felt threatened by the "bad" Khmer kids around me. If anything, the really high achieving students were the scariest one. Don't get me wrong though, we should all avoid lifestyles that we don't agree with.

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I beat myself up everyday for not being smart as I once was before the heavy drug use. I was just thinking the other night, of the billions of people in the world, have many are actually living a great life vs. the ones that are constantly suffering from something, whether its poverty, MENTAL ILLNESS, social issues, personal struggles, abuse, slavery, child trafficking, etc. What the percentage of people that are living it up the fullest?

How many of those people starting from birth to death, lived a meaningful existence. I try to take life one day at a time, if I survive each day, I consider myself lucky. I don't take my time here for granted anymore.

Those things you mention can happen to anyone at anytime :(. Like me, I never though I would be a college drop-out or drug addict. Man I thought I was gonna be a millionaire by the time I was 25 lolz, I'm now 32 and I'm in debt. We just don't know for sure how our lives are gonna turn out, that a crazy idea to me, how life is wrought with so much uncertainty. Hamster, you're a writer, did I use the word wrought in the proper way?
You seem smart to me, after all you used the word wrought correctly, so you are smart. :D I think few people live life to the fullest. Very few. Maybe less than 1%. And IMO, I don't think anyone can live life to the fullest in this world.

Yup, our life can turn upside down overnight. A case in point, my friend's mom who was healthy and always watched what she ate and exercised regularly suddenly faint and hasn't woken up yet, it's been months already. It's terrible. I feel sorry for the folks on the Malaysia plane too. This world is uncertain as you said. That's why I don't strive hard anymore, cause I might fall off dead tomorrow, then I'd be working hard for nothing.

This world is uncertain as you said. That's why I don't strive hard anymore, cause I might fall off dead tomorrow, then I'd be working hard for nothing.

Everyone should strive man. In case you might live till your last days. Don't want to look back and realize, you could have tried harder.