Culture Crisis

goupon

Level 2
Master
VIP
Note: Please do not get offended if I or other state their opinion. Just want to create more thread to keep all of us alive :)

A lot of Khmer living in the US always participate in American culture. Introducing there kids on almost every US major holiday. Adults/Kids are excited when that event come. However, many x-generation (40yrs or less parenting) hardly introduce their kids on it's own culture. I personality knew a lot of parents aging as listed above hardly participate in the Cambodian culture. It's either they're too busy or have no time to spare at least twice in a year (New Year and Po Jum Ben). I see a lot of Chinese, Vietnamese, or Korea always have their kids participate in their root culture. I do not want to say that most Khmer living in my city tend to forget it's own root but I see too many. What will happen to our culture in the near future especially those resigned in USA?
I know it's off topic but this are some reason I heard of why Khmer hardly participate in their own culture beside the busyness. Many think, "I don't want to go to temple because the monks are bad or kept money to themselves". Remember not all eggs in the nest are spoiler. They are all human and yes in some points they will do/make mistake. If the mistake can be forgiven then let it be. If not, have that monk resign. But also remember, almost every religious goes through this crisis. If you watch news, yes, there's a lot of priests who goes as far as child molest. So, just don't think that only Khmer "monks" did bad thing in this lonely world.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
I see a lot of Chinese, Vietnamese, or Korea always have their kids participate in their root culture.

I do agree with you

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Note: Please do not get offended if I or other state their opinion. Just want to create more thread to keep all of us alive :)

A lot of Khmer living in the US always participate in American culture. Introducing there kids on almost every US major holiday. Adults/Kids are excited when that event come. However, many x-generation (40yrs or less parenting) hardly introduce their kids on it's own culture. I personality knew a lot of parents aging as listed above hardly participate in the Cambodian culture. It's either they're too busy or have no time to spare at least twice in a year (New Year and Po Jum Ben). I see a lot of Chinese, Vietnamese, or Korea always have their kids participate in their root culture. I do not want to say that most Khmer living in my city tend to forget it's own root but I see too many. What will happen to our culture in the near future especially those resigned in USA?

great subject..... love it :D

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I know Christmas is an American holiday that everybody from all nationality enjoys. We all likes it, or at least almost everyone likes it because it's enticing. Gifts giving, come on, kids and adults, who doesn't like to just give gifts to their loves one? Is there a religious belief behind the holiday Christmas? Yes. But do all the kids or adults who chose to celebrate Christmas is going to believe in Jesus just because they love Christmas for it's holiday songs, music, dinner, fun games, toys, gifts? No, many people don't believe in Jesus but they still celebrate Christmas. We do celebrate the American's event to a certain point but not all the meaning behind it.

Many Cambodian down in Long Beach, California still celebrate Khmer New Year every year. I don't know about other parts of the United States, but Long Beach still hold it's tradition and make it a big thing for the Cambodian peoples here. We goes to the park or the temple to eat, buy things, play games, do lottery tickets, take picture, etc. Gives money to the kids. :D

But I will say, not every Khmer person will actually go to the temple to pray or believe in Buddha. When it comes to religious, not everyone will be a part of it. It's a beliefs thing and you have to believe to care for it. It's a very sensitive matters where there isn't a right or wrong answer for it. We can't force anyone to believe in god. They have to feel it.

The reason why you felt that Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese celebrate their tradition over Khmer is because they have a much bigger population. So when they celebrate something it looks big because there are more of them doing it because there are more of them period. I see three guys talking about Khmer New Year, it will just be a little group quiet get together thing. If I see like ten Chinese talking about their Chinese New Year, you would hear it louder because they have to speak over each other.

I guess the problem here is the population. We can make our event seems better and all out if we have a bigger population coming together to make it major big. The amount of Khmer store around here is nothing compare to the Chinese supermarket because there's just less Cambodian people to do business. I will see more Chinese banner over Khmer poster for the New Year. We can't expect much from the event if only a little bit of Khmer people. I can say that not all Chinese people does celebrate their holiday but there's so many of them, so the proportion of them celebrating it will still be big.

I don't see Vietnamese people celebrating their events because it's happening in Westminister not over here where all the Chinese live. But I still go down to Long Beach to celebrate Khmer New Year with my parents when the times come and there are enough people down there also celebrating it with us when we hit the temple for all the foods and games.

I will be there to eat, play, and do things for many of the fun holiday, doesn't matter what nationality it is for, but I will not be praying though. That is a whole other topic. The American holidays is the same thing. I will teach my kids all the whole steps to each celebrations and they will decides what they likes to do. Many people celebrate those holidays for the fun of it, but for religious beliefs, it will be a tough one.

So now it basically depends on what answer you're expecting to hear goupon? Are you referring to the religious part, or just celebrating it. For Long Beach, where Cambodian Town is located at, those people there are always celebrating their New Year with parks, party, temple, and restaurant with singers/actress coming over to celebrates it with them. If you live here, the Cambodian tradition is still going on. (y)

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
I believe Groupon is more like after Khmer culture and Khmer Tradition than celebration/holiday. But I might be wrong though :D

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
For Cambodian New Years, the parent gives their kids money. Parents would also buy their kids new clothing to celebrates the New Years. You go see relatives, take picture, play games, cook at home or go eat at a relatives house.
There is also the park where vendors sells food, have games booth, Miss Cambodian will be there. The food there is delicious so you need to bring lots of cash. It does cost for parking. They also give out some free souvenir to take home.

For some people, you won't get to enjoy or bring your kids to the Khmer New Years festival because you live in a non Khmer neighborhood. Try to look online and goggle any Khmer festival around your area to see if anything is going on. I know not just Long Beach has it. Those Cambodian festival is happening in other states out there also.

http://lbpost.com/life/2000002196-i...ar-celebration-at-el-dorado-park#.UoZ53InTmzk

436.jpg

tela

Beggar
no worries groupon, this is not offensive by all means..its's true, our culture is dying slowly, not because of population wise. Rather laziness and lack of interest. Unlike the chinese and koreans, they took the time and effort to introduce the culture to their kids and enforce it by attending every ceremonies. To me, they are more strict and proud in their root culture and its like a "must do" type of thing...that's is why most of them are more educated as well. Some time it's hard to blame the older generations because they're to busy working two jobs to support the family. I see alot of losers young kids these days that live off their parents.

Over here on New Years we give the parents/elder money. Same goes on Bon Jum Ben. It helps them buy supplies to donate to the temple. To me, its sad because over here they use the celebration as an excuse for drinking and parting folowed by fighting and shooting.Not so much about the tradition celebrating with family and the rest of the fellow khmer peoples. That is part of the reason no one wants to attend any more.

Yes, every culture is corrupted and they do make mistakes. after all, were only humans. as long as u go with a pure soul, then that's all is matter right.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
our culture is dying slowly, not because of population wise. Rather laziness and lack of interest.

The lack of interest and laziness isn't happing here. My parents is participating in all Khmer function including temple, sending moneys to Cambodia to help built the temple there, and donate money to the needy. There are many people down in Long Beach that are participating in helping to make Cambodia grow. Those golden Khmer Temple in Cambodia right now are all donation money that comes from Khmer people living in America.

United Cambodian Community located in Long Beach is a group of very interested Khmer people who is there to help with many services. Their mission is to bridge cultural, language and - more important than ever - generational gaps between first, second and third-generation Cambodian-Americans.

United Cambodian Community (UCC) is a non-profit social services agency that has served the Cambodian community in the greater Long Beach since 1977. They have a long history of offering health and human services to a diverse clientele, including elderly, youth and women.

In 2008, UCC served approximately 6,400 unduplicated residents of greater Long Beach through 11,000 points of service. Their clients - primarily low-income, disadvantaged, and underserved individuals – reflect the multi-ethnic population of greater Long Beach. UCC offers several programs and services, open to all regardless of background, including:

-Parenting classes for young adults referred by the court
-Breast cancer early detection outreach, education and referral
-Advocacy and case-management assistance
-Translation and interpretation services to government and nonprofit agencies.
-Khmer and English weekly instruction
-Food distribution every second and fourth Saturday
-Cambodian dance group

https://www.facebook.com/ucclb

This is where a greater population comes in because just my father won't make a difference in donation. With many Khmer father out there, the donations rise towards all the Cambodian functions and in helping with making it possible for everyone else that can't provide for it. It comes down to one person can't do it all. If we have 1 billion more Khmer people added to the population now, we will be unstoppable in many things. :D:D

I don't think our culture is dying in Long Beach because we have a bigger community of Khmer people over here.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Khmer Landmark Business & other Retail Stores located along Anaheim Street in Cambodian Town USA Long Beach, Calif. I grew up in this town.

Many youths are participating in the celebration of Long Beach becoming Cambodia Town.

640x480_scale_thumb_cambodian-new-year-parade-2009-543.jpg

20110716_075222_Cambodia%20town_300.jpg

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Unlike the chinese and koreans, they took the time and effort to introduce the culture to their kids and enforce it by attending every ceremonies. To me, they are more strict and proud in their root culture and its like a "must do" type of thing...that's is why most of them are more educated as well. Some time it's hard to blame the older generations because they're to busy working two jobs to support the family. I see alot of losers young kids these days that live off their parents.

I live around the Chinese and the Koreans and I see all of them living with their parents. My current boyfriend is Chinese and he still live with his parents along with all his sister. All the Chinese people in their circle still live with their parents. Everything that happen, they go to their mommy for help. Everything they got, is mostly from their parent.

I'm Cambodian and I am already moved out of my parent's house. My sister and brother has their own place. I get better grades than a Chinese girl that's suppose to be a straight A student according to her high school grades. She actually fail her English and has to drop out a couple of time. I personality know her so I'm not going to put no names. I caught her trying to cheat on her exam, she wanted to write all the answer on the test booklet beforehand. It took her longer than me to finish her general ed because she started college first. I came in two semester after and I was done. I don't think the parent being too busy or not got anything to do with the child if the child isn't worthless. The nationality doesn't matter either because there are a lot of uneducated Chinese and Korean over here.

I got straight A during my whole school year and my parents don't even speak English to me. I have to learn everything on my own. Time to pick me up from school, my daddy falls asleep. I have to walk a very long way home. Sometimes soaking in the rain. I took care of myself throughout my school year. My parents is never involved. Being educated or a drop out actually depend on the person itself. There are a lot of Khmer people who don't want to be useless and will do anything to become something whether anyone is there for them or not.

I chose this video because the girl is Khmer, young, and is doing something that most girls her age won't do. She chose to be involve in her Khmer tradition and isn't afraid to be laugh at. She's confident in who she is and is trying to get somewhere.

Contestant#3: Sovanica. Khmer New Year 2013 Singing Contest in Long Beach, CA

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I attended Woodrow Wilson High School when I was younger. Due to the higher Cambodian population, the school is offering Khmer language as part of the foreign language program for credits. I was taking 8 classes during high school trying to get as much credits I can. I was a total geek that time. My last class was Khmer and I got an A in the class. I learn how to write and read in Khmer, my father was so proud of me because I chose to take the class on my own. He didn't have to make me do it or anything. I already speak the language, I figure, why not know the rest. :D

My father is always into his Khmer tradition, I was trying to continue what he loves. Knowing how to read and write in Khmer makes me feel good about myself. The school is still offering the Khmer class until this day, it is a great opportunity for all the new generation to take it if they're in the area. If the languages is important to you, having your child attend this school is a must.

http://lbwilson.schoolloop.com/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=1248309312000

Foreign Language Courses Offered
Students of Wilson Classical High School must successfully complete 4 years of foreign language courses, with at least 3 of those years in the same language, in order to be eligible to graduate with the distinguished Classical Diploma. We offer Spanish, French, and German from beginning levels all the way through AP language and literature. We also offer four years of American Sign Language (ASL).
Our Khmer for Khmer Speakers program is offered from the beginning 1-2 level all the way to 7-8 advance level. This 4 years program focuses on literacy development in reading and writing in the Khmer language.

cache_2718842604.jpg

bohok

Commoner
The reason why you felt that Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese celebrate their tradition over Khmer is because they have a much bigger population.
I have to agree with you on this. I was at the water festival in Lowell, Massachusetts several years ago and the celebration was huge since the Cambodian population there is so big.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
no worries groupon, this is not offensive by all means..its's true, our culture is dying slowly, not because of population wise. Rather laziness and lack of interest. Unlike the chinese and koreans, they took the time and effort to introduce the culture to their kids and enforce it by attending every ceremonies. To me, they are more strict and proud in their root culture and its like a "must do" type of thing...that's is why most of them are more educated as well. Some time it's hard to blame the older generations because they're to busy working two jobs to support the family. I see alot of losers young kids these days that live off their parents.

Over here on New Years we give the parents/elder money. Same goes on Bon Jum Ben. It helps them buy supplies to donate to the temple. To me, its sad because over here they use the celebration as an excuse for drinking and parting folowed by fighting and shooting.Not so much about the tradition celebrating with family and the rest of the fellow khmer peoples. That is part of the reason no one wants to attend any more.

Yes, every culture is corrupted and they do make mistakes. after all, were only humans. as long as u go with a pure soul, then that's all is matter right.

I do agree with you

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
I attended Woodrow Wilson High School when I was younger. Due to the higher Cambodian population, the school is offering Khmer language as part of the foreign language program for credits. I was taking 8 classes during high school trying to get as much credits I can. I was a total geek that time. My last class was Khmer and I got an A in the class. I learn how to write and read in Khmer, my father was so proud of me because I chose to take the class on my own. He didn't have to make me do it or anything. I already speak the language, I figure, why not know the rest. :D
i only hope the other will do the same as you Hunnie., because based on my observation most Khmer kids rarely speak Khmer though [/quote]
The school is still offering the Khmer class until this day, it is a great opportunity for all the new generation to take it if they're in the area. If the languages is important to you, having your child attend this school is a must
Is the Wilson Classical High School located in CA.
Most of the high School at the other states, They offer only France and Spanish though.

lovepink

Commoner
Yeah i do agree with you. But i also think it depends on which community you live in and if it is accessible.

lovepink

Commoner
I went to California just last year to see their temples. It was huge and so beautiful. The sculptures were amazing. I took a bunch of photos but i am not sure if i am allowed to upload them? since on their website they have none. They want people to actually visit the place. We have nothing like that where i come from. Our temple is so small literally a house. We have to rent halls to celebrate and stuff.

lovepink

Commoner
just a question for Groupon by losing culture is having a "white" name considered part of it too? I know my dad always gets mad when people name their kids with English name instead of Khmer names. He says it is part of your heritage. How are other people suppose to know where they come from? you know what i mean? Sometimes i wish i could have an English name too since mine sounds really weird to other people who are not khmer. My siblings and I all have ethnic names - it really stands out.

lovepink

Commoner
just a question for Groupon by losing culture is having a "white" name considered part of it too? I know my dad always gets mad when people name their kids with English name instead of Khmer names. He says it is part of your heritage. How are other people suppose to know where they come from? you know what i mean? Sometimes i wish i could have an English name too since mine sounds really weird to other people who are not khmer. My siblings and I all have ethnic names - it really stands out.

sorry i meant Goupon.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
For those who lived in area where the Khmer is lazy and has no interest in their Khmer heritage? It actually depend how important Khmer heritage and tradition is to you.

There is a reason why many people study so hard and pay lots of money to go to Yale and Harvard University. They pride earning lots of money in their career so they're depending on those credential school to get them those earnings. Several people, Americans, international students, and including the low incomes Asian strive to go to certain places because it's an essential to their lives later.

If you wants your generation to get those heritage and Khmer tradition in them, the best thing to do is to relocate for them. Have them attend a Khmer class, have them hang out with other educated Khmer kids, and raise them up in a nice Khmer community. The reason why my parents come to America was to get a better life and they accomplish that for themselves and for their kids. My current boyfriends' parent sold their business and house in Vietnam to come to America so that their kids can get a better education and earning. My boyfriend didn't come to the America until he was fourteen when they finally got approved. I'm sure it was harder for our parents to get here than it is for us to relocate for our own kids. Money is always an issue, but the question lies on if it is worth it for them.

My boyfriend is Chinese but he was born in Vietnam so he can also speak and read in Viet. Being raise in that community does makes a difference for your kids. I then conclude that the Khmer heritage is only dying if you let it dies.

goupon

Level 2
Master
VIP
Hunnie: It all about Khmer culture and Khmer Tradition.

Lovepink: I don't think having an American name consider losing our Khmer blood. All my kid all have both Khmer & American name but Khmer name r their first name :)
My boyfriend is Chinese but he was born in Vietnam so he can also speak and read in Viet. Being raise in that community does makes a difference for your kids. I then conclude that the Khmer heritage is only dying if you let it dies.

That's my point Hunnie. Khmer heritage is dying. Majority Khmer are only involving in American culture and less of it's own culture. Personally, to be involve in Khmer culture and what made other Khmer get bore is going to Temple. You cannot just say, oh, i can do it at home. That is just political incorrect. To be involve in Khmer culture/tradition, you need to go to Temple, offering food to the Monks so they can chanter to your ancestors. Yes it's boring but it's only 2 times in a year (major bon). Donation can be any amount. Compare to Church, you need to put in 10% of your salary plus at the door donation and every Sunday. But look at them, they still all attend. Us Khmer people, think going to Temple is too much of a pain and especially the donation part.

When I was in my teen and now, I always help out bring the food to place in front of the monks, helping cleaning, etc. The reason i did all this was to influence my kids juts like how my parents did when i was young. I don't want our culture to fade out in this third country. I saw young buck, or teen, just standing when they saw us help the monks removing chair/table. And some people do go to temple but only go for the hack. never donate even a buck. And there's another group who never once put their feet on temple "A" and spread bad rumor . I can go on l.ol but thanks all for your opinion.