Culture Crisis

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I don't think giving donation is the issue but more of the believers. Many people don't believe in the afterlife (chanting) so the meaning of the temple praying ceremony means nothing to them. The religious parts is an debatable issue. My parents is a strong believer but I can't say the same about myself. I don't mind giving donation to the monks and supporting the Khmer temple, but walking in as a believers of the whole ceremony isn't in me. :)

I remember going to the temple with my parents and doing the praying and putting rice in 10 monk's bowl while bowing for thanks. The whole time wondering, didn't even understand the purpose. :bag:

I takes too much Science class. :D

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
I didn't read through the entire thread, will do it at work tomorrow. I was more of an atheist that believed strongly in karma(I still do). But after going through a recent big loss, I'm not sure what to think of life anymore. As part of the healing process, a part of me is forcing myself to believe in life after death and I'm going to keep it that way for a good while.

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I learned the American holidays from school. My parents knew nothing about them. It was us children that influenced my parents to celebrate those holidays. When I was younger and when we used to live near the temple, my parents took us there every weekend, sometimes during mid-week too. As we get busier with school, most of us kids stop going, only my parents went. Then as we grew older, some of us change religion, others became agnostic and so forth. My family only started going to the temple again and celebrating Khmer holidays after a family member died.

I do agree with Goupon's observation. Few attend ceremonies and holy days, and some that still do do so for social reasons.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
But goupon isn't referring to holiday. He's talking about attending the temple and applying the praying/chanting ceremony procedure. That actually goes into religious section. We celebrate Christmas but we don't go to churches and believe in Jesus. We or at least I don't read the bible. So I'm not celebrating the American part either. I just put Christmas tree up for decoration and give gifts. I don't do prayer so I'm don't consider myself following anyone's custom. :)

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Culture , tradition and religion , there are completely different thing

goupon

Level 2
Master
VIP
Culture , tradition and religion , there are completely different thing
I'm lost with my own thread lol... All over the place..

Anyway Hunnie, you don't need to be a believer. It's just to keep our religion alive. Let no talk about religion. I need to be on topic. sorry.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP

Anyway Hunnie, you don't need to be a believer. It's just to keep our religion alive. Let no talk about religion. I need to be on topic. sorry.
Hi Groupon,
Would it be nice if we have the Religion Thread , so we can share/exchange our believes?

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Wow cambodia town in USA?? Bigger than cabramatta in Sydney????

With the information gathered, I believe that Cabramatta, Sydney has the largest Vietnamese community. There are large number of restaurants with Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese cuisines so wouldn't be recognize as a Cambodian community.

Maybe there are areas out there with a great numbers of Cambodians that haven't been calculated properly, but I believe that Long Beach got it's name also because the local of Cambodian community activists worked to obtain Long Beach city council approval to officially designated the Anaheim Street corridor as "Cambodia Town". They have to put in effort to be recognized.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
With the information gathered, I believe that Cabramatta, Sydney has the largest Vietnamese community. There are large number of restaurants with Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese cuisines so wouldn't be recognize as a Cambodian community.

Maybe there are areas out there with a great numbers of Cambodians that haven't been calculated properly, but I believe that Long Beach got it's name also because the local of Cambodian community activists worked to obtain Long Beach city council approval to officially designated the Anaheim Street corridor as "Cambodia Town". They have to put in effort to be recognized.
thx for the info:)

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I think the hardest part in keeping Khmer culture alive is making sure all the new generation can at least speak Khmer. Losing the language can be the first step in losing the rest. :(

Last edited:

kalyann

Commoner
well khmer culture is dying slowly nd groupon sorry u aint gunna find n e one doing dishes in the temple. those r golden days. new years is dying slowly here too. guys/girls only go there to check each other out or hookup. they wont even step inside the temple like when our parents used to make us do__the traditional stuff...now the new year celebration is in a restaurant or hall , only the old people go tot the temple. u know its sad, we have a big population of khmer here but nothing really improve. al those donations, we still have a small temple. i guess the new generation dont carry our tradition as strictly as the chinese, indians, ans african. for sum reason, these people never forget their roots nd is not emabrassed to carry on their culture. well enuff of my old lady talk hahaha. ill shut up lolz

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP

You need to move to Long Beach to see more Khmer culture, goupon. :D
Your daughter can take Khmer class at the high school there.
I learn to read and write there. :)