May Data Entry Contest - $100

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
I use multiple sources like Theary too, and mostly Wikipedia for most of the actor's biography. Other than that, how about we use Drama Wiki for naming our Chinese, HK, Taiwanese, and Korean actors?
will do:D

Ash

Admin
Admin
@Hunnie, you welcome with the points correction! @theary, I am usually behind my schedule. :)

Everyone has brought up great suggestions. I am considering in recoding the cast section for better information display. For example, non-existing actors will be listed under "more cast" instead of being displayed as unknown error.

Last edited:

Ash

Admin
Admin
I am also considering in removing the actors/actresses selection button when adding actors names. This should help reduce selection mistakes and speed up data entry.

Currently, when adding a name to the cast section, you are required to select actor or actress.

1. Hardware Resource vs Entry Speed (current setup).

Pros:
-Website will search only the actors OR actresses database for a matching entered name. By letting the website know that the name is an actor (or an actress), it helps reduce the search resource.

Cons:
-Time consuming for members, especially on unpopular names when gender (actor or actress) is difficult to determine.
-Selection errors. Example: adding joe-chen as an actor (instead of actress) will return an unknown status because the website does not know that joe-chen as an actor.

2. Entry Speed vs Resource.

Pros:
-Faster data entry for members, as guessing or searching is not required whether the entered name is an actor or actress.
-No selection errors.

Cons:
-More resource consumption as the website will have to search both actors AND actresses database for a matching entered name.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
@Hunnie, you welcome with the points correction! @theary, I am usually behind my schedule. :)

Everyone has brought up great suggestions. I am considering in recoding the cast section for better information display. For example, non-existing actors will be listed under "more cast" instead of being displayed as unknown error.

I am also considering in removing the actors/actresses selection button when adding actors names. This should help reduce selection mistakes and speed up data entry...
that is great, Bong pross Ash(y)

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP

(y):D

Ash

Admin
Admin
Would it make the data entry easier if you do not have to type in "-" dashes when adding actors?

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Would it make the data entry easier if you do not have to type in "-" dashes when adding actors?

I don't think inputting raymond-lam waste much of our time. At least not for me, it doesn't.

Can I put Raymond-Lam and it'll still show up the page?
Raymond-lam, does it changes anything how we type it in?

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I am also considering in removing the actors/actresses selection button when adding actors names. This should help reduce selection mistakes and speed up data entry.

Currently, when adding a name to the cast section, you are required to select actor or actress.

1. Hardware Resource vs Entry Speed (current setup).

Pros:
-Website will search only the actors OR actresses database for a matching entered name. By letting the website know that the name is an actor (or an actress), it helps reduce the search resource.

Cons:
-Time consuming for members, especially on unpopular names when gender (actor or actress) is difficult to determine.
-Selection errors. Example: adding joe-chen as an actor (instead of actress) will return an unknown status because the website does not know that joe-chen as an actor.

2. Entry Speed vs Resource.

Pros:
-Faster data entry for members, as guessing or searching is not required whether the entered name is an actor or actress.
-No selection errors.

Cons:
-More resource consumption as the website will have to search both actors AND actresses database for a matching entered name.

I think the both the cons out weighted the pros in trying to get faster entry speed. I prefer having to input the ACTOR/ACTRESS button. I think the current way is fine how it is.

Ash

Admin
Admin
I don't think inputting raymond-lam waste much of our time. At least not for me, it doesn't.

Can I put Raymond-Lam and it'll still show up the page?
Raymond-lam, does it changes anything how we type it in?

It should not matter. Currently the website converts all actor data into lower cases. I can code it tonight to remove the dash requirement if it makes copy and paste easier.

Ash

Admin
Admin
I think the both the cons out weighted the pros in trying to get faster entry speed. I prefer having to input the ACTOR/ACTRESS button. I think the current way is fine how it is.

I took the actor/actress button selection out last night for setup #2. I did a speed analysis on the website and it did not affect much of our resource.

Now, non-existing actor/actress names will be filtered out and listed under Additional Cast Members instead of being displayed as unknown.

If the actor/actress is added to the database later on, the name will automatically get removed from the Additional Cast Members back to the top.

Last edited:

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Yes, I would prefer without dash.

Ex: If the actor name : Lee Min Hoo , Can I type in lee min hoo in the drama cast ?

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Yes you can. I will work on removing the dash-requirement tonight. :)
Thanks<3+<3
So sorry for keep created more work for Bong pross Ash
:(
Will Bong please also add School in genre?

Ash

Admin
Admin
So we should still use dash for today's post if we do any?

Yes. You can still use dash even after the code is changed later tonight. I hope by removing the actor button and dash requirements will make it easy for everyone to copy and paste information from other wiki websites.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Yes. You can still use dash even after the code is changed later tonight. I hope by removing the actor button and dash requirements will make it easy for everyone to copy and paste information from other wiki websites.

But for today, we use dash?

Tomorrow we can start using no dash.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I took the actor/actress button selection out last night for setup #2. I did a speed analysis on the website and it did not affect much of our resource.

Now, non-existing actor/actress names will be filtered out and listed under Additional Cast Members instead of being displayed as unknown.

If the actor/actress is added to the database later on, the name will automatically get removed from the Additional Cast Members back to the top.

The additional cast format looks great bong. Thanks for making everything easier and better for us.