Scared...

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
I don't think our Khmer folks prioritize education in the same level as other Asian countries. Like Phon stated, our parents just don't push us hard enough. My parents didn't -- although they would provide all the resources they can to put me to school. Most Khmer parents around here tend to compare their kids with each other and accept the usual average expectation -- "My kids are not bad as your kids, so I'm content."

I thought years ago, someday this bar would be raised. Doesn't seem like it, a lot of the new generation Khmer kids around here are spoiled and lazy while their parents work their butt off on low salary.

Basically, you're on your own to success.

Don't count on your parents to push you, and if they do, don't blame them but thank them down the road. This doesn't apply if you have crazy Chinese parents. :D

Last edited:
I thought years ago, someday this bar would be raised. Doesn't seem like it, a lot of the new generation Khmer kids around here are spoiled and lazy while their parents work their butt off on low salary.

Basically, you're on your own to success.

That's my whole point, you just said it better. The same mentality occurs here too. I have relatives living off their hard working parents. They work so hard to put themselves in a house in the suburbs and their kids pretend that their rich and work warehouse jobs and party every day they could, buying designers clothes, new hondas and acuras, and pretty much live paycheck to paycheck while their parents struggles hard to pay mortgage and keep food on table.

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
Spot on with the situations over here, Happy. I was just talking to a Khmer client going through short sales today unfortunately. I've seen many foreclosures as well.

Last edited:
Spot on with the situations over here, Happy. I was just talking to a Khmer client going through short sales today unfortunately. I've seen many foreclosures as well.
so basically the parents got laid off and the kids didn't help.

iampheng

Commoner
Our Khmer parents got lotsa things to take care of in a country some of them still don't understand...although I am doing well, but they have the similar mentioned mentality to my brothers - the boys, they could be worse, but me I have to be perfect like a spotless white silk cloth.

I got to vent, sometimes its hard to maintain a "clean" track record" because you can be fantastic but if you do one bad thing then that bad thing will define you over a lifetime of good things lol case in point my mom to this day has barred me from dating Black guys LOL and if I did she'd disown me even if I'm the only one doing decently. If I dabbled in any of the things my brothers do under her roof...I would have been disowned a long time ago. Some serious sexism.

Even on the topic of school - they just told me don't date a gang member and don't get pregnant. lol. They didn't really encourage me to get good grades...now they (well, just mom, dad is cool, thank goodness) tell people its in our "blood" to do well...yeah right....got nearly 30 or so first cousins and our behavior is questionable for the most part.

No wonder why my cousins hate me and are waiting for me to do something "shameful". I'd hate me too if I were them.

No wonder why my cousins hate me and are waiting for me to do something "shameful". I'd hate me too if I were them.

Omg you read my mind when you wrote this. This totally sum up my whole experience with my family. My family basically waited 10 years to see me fall. When I did fall, they treated me even worse, like a pack of wolves on a wounded animal. I never kick a man when he's down, but that's what they did. When I became dirt poor, they hurted me so much and called me all kinds of names, they didn't care that I was mourning the loss of my step-father or that I was too young for the real world. I studied hard from the time I was 15 till I was 25, I had no life experience at all. They said that I deserved what happen to me all because I was a normal, americanized, sociable, charismatic person that got good grades, dated pretty girls, and had great confidence in myself. This is why I stay away from Khmer lol....They bring you down if you rise above them. You would think that my family is ghetto but their not, they hard working middle class income bracket, but they still "boater" and unrefined types. They live in nice houses, drive BMWs and shit like that, but the way they think and act is the problem. They don't know what they doing is wong lol. They don't know how to love their own people, instead they compete against each other, wanting to see others fall down. I hate their guts.

Last edited:

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I come from a total opposite family than you guys. :D

My parents is always too busy for me, but all I hear from them is to get good grades and get a good job for myself. That I'm suppose to take care of my own self when I'm old enough. My parents doesn't look down on people or their own nationality though. They get along with everyone, it's in them to be social because they're in a singing band for wedding. My dad used to be a lead star in drama back in Cambodia when he was young. It's in his nature to get along with people.

Long story short, my parents isn't the best parent in the world because they has so much on their hand as it is. I never complaints or felt that I needed better. I'm fine with what I have and the rest is up to me to do. I don't like having my parent working hard and I just sit around waiting to be pamper. I'm an able person whether am a boy or not. I pay for my own car, insurance, clothing, etc. I don't go to my parent for money. It's not me, they did what they need to do for me. I work for all my belonging.

If you guys are still living with your parents consider yourself very lucky because you are having the extra help that I don't have. The race to a future, I'm doing it alone. (y)

iampheng

Commoner
If you guys are still living with your parents consider yourself very lucky because you are having the extra help that I don't have. The race to a future, I'm doing it alone. (y)

I wish I still lived with my parents!!! I miss them like crazy living halfway across the U.S. lol especially my mom's food!

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I wish I still lived with my parents!!! I miss them like crazy living halfway across the U.S. lol especially my mom's food!

Look at it the bright side pheng, it will be very rewarding when you're done with school. Living independent is good in many aspects. There's always a disadvantage to everything, but we can't be picky. :D

iampheng

Commoner
I'm from the East Coast and now live in the Midwest - too many identifying markers will threaten anonymity. :angelic:

smey

Commoner
VIP
Until I moved to my new place about 2 years ago, and basically start over. I would say 7-10 lbs over 15 years.
That some serious smoking man I don't even smoke that much I am an on an off person I would burn for 1 year then quit for 4 years right now I am on the quiting boat trying to quit for ever now