Shopping Suggestion/input

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
That's the same hard drive I have here Hunnie. Rock, any idea how much faster it is between SDD vs HDD drives? I know there's no comparison and I heard it's so much nicer with OS installed on the SDD.

The difference between HDD and SSD are:

HDD - uses a physical read/write head built into the drive. So in other words, it requires power and time to boot up before it can be used. HDD also can become fragmented which can slow down the read/write process. HDD work faster when data is in order, but after many uses it will become fragmented. They are cheaper for the amount of storage you can get compared to SSD. Also HDD's have moving parts that work inside, which in the long run can lead to a dead HDD.

SSD - Does not use any physical head to read or write like a HDD. SSD uses flash memory unlike HDD. As for speed, SSD are faster, for both booting and normal use. Since there is no physical reading head in SSD, you don't have to worry much about fragmentation on the SSD. SSD have faster transfer rates than a HDD. Also SSD make no noise since there are no mechanical parts on the drive itself. Only problem with these, are they are very expensive compared to HDD's. Over time SSD will drop in price and eventually become smaller and may even replace HDD all together.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
That's the same hard drive I have here Hunnie. Rock, any idea how much faster it is between SDD vs HDD drives? I know there's no comparison and I heard it's so much nicer with OS installed on the SDD.

That is nice, we have the same one. :)

SSD is blazing fast compared to HDD because there's no moving parts inside but they are expensive to purchase. I can only afford a 64GB one lol...I used my SSD to load windows 8 and HDD for storage.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
What do you guys think about this hard drive?
Should I get that one, I'm planning on buying an extra hard drive for my uploading purpose.
Should I get the 3tb or the 4tb? Is it better not to get too big and have more hard drives in case one does goes bad?
I would have files in different drives so all don't go wrong?

WD - My Cloud 4TB Personal Cloud Storage External Hard Drive (NAS) - White
Buy at Best Buy

2832018_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=150;canvasWidth=105

Should I get that one, I'm planning on buying an extra hard drive for my uploading purpose.
Should I get the 3tb or the 4tb? Is it better not to get too big and have more hard drives in case one does goes bad?

Buy at Best Buy

Eh, you should try ebay I bet you can find cheaper prices, you know, I barely shop at Best Buy so expensive for me. I bet cause you don't want to wait for shipping. That's my problem, I hate waiting for it to come in the mail 1-2 weeks but I deal with it cause most things, you can get a hefty discount staying away from retail, no joke. I say get a few 2TB HDDs. I have an omega external drive and have no complaints. Cheaper to buy the enclosure and put your own HDD in there though :D If it was up to me, I look for a few enclosure, shop around for a sata HDD from 1TB to 3TB and there you go. You'll probably save a whole lot more if you go used on the HDDs. Up to you, some prefer their shit brand spanking new, I'm that way myself:D Sometimes I penny pinch though and head on to ebay for something. Man I just bought a sweet back up battery for my Xperia for under 20 bucks, high quality. I got a piece of shit cover from the T-hobo store for 35. What a rip-off. Also just bought something for 10 bucks that woulda cost me 20 at the retail plus tax, a gripmaster for my hand rehabilitation, you'll pay 25 for those retail.

Last edited:

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Eh, you should try ebay I bet you can find cheaper prices, you know, I barely shop at Best Buy so expensive for me. I bet cause you don't want to wait for shipping. That's my problem, I hate waiting for it to come in the mail 1-2 weeks but I deal with it cause most things, you can get a hefty discount staying away from retail, no joke. I say get a few 2TB HDDs. I have an omega external drive and have no complaints. Cheaper to buy the enclosure and put your own HDD in there though :D If it was up to me, I look for a few enclosure, shop around for a sata HDD from 1TB to 3TB and there you go. You'll probably save a whole lot more if you go used on the HDDs. Up to you, some prefer their shit brand spanking new, I'm that way myself:D Sometimes I penny pinch though and head on to ebay for something. Man I just bought a sweet back up battery for my Xperia for under 20 bucks, high quality. I got a piece of shit cover from the T-hobo store for 35. What a rip-off. Also just bought something for 10 bucks that woulda cost me 20 at the retail plus tax.

I probably go smaller and get more HD then. Looking at 2-3TB. I'll shop around for price differences, but I like Best Buy because of the rewards points later. I was wondering, what do you think about the cloud storage it's claiming to have? Do you think that extra new feature is anything to look into?

I probably go smaller and get more HD then. Looking at 2-3TB. I'll shop around for price differences, but I like Best Buy because of the rewards points later. I was wondering, what do you think about the cloud storage it's claiming to have? Do you think that extra new feature is anything to look into?
No clue, but I know from working at microsoft that cloud is the next big thing for them. It's gonna be big.

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer

Buy at Best Buy

You have to remember that the larger the HD is the longer the seek and write times are. In other words the more storage it has, the longer it will take to actually write the files to the drive and longer to find, locate and read the data on the drive.

You also want to consider is it a USB2.0 or USB 3.0 or both. USB2.0 speed tops off at about 480Mbps, and USB3.0 tops off at about 5Gbps. You have to also consider if your pc is able to utilize USB3.0 or not. Those are the top speeds for the USB2.0 and 3.0, but you will never actually see speeds that high. Reason for that is there are other things being sent and used during the transfer of data.

Personally, If your just using it for back up, it would depend on how much storage you need. I would go for the 4TB drive, less hassle with having to many HDs. I hate swapping out HDs when I am looking for things. This HDD has DLNA, and UPnP, which are nice. My only concern is that I think its a green drive :(. I hate green drives. They advertise it at 7200RPM, but it works as if it was a 5400RPM drive or lower. Reason for that is green drives are more concern with energy consumption.

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer

Cloud storage is nice if you like to be able to download, upload to your hdd anytime you like. Only problem is sometimes setting it up can be a hassle. If your not sure what you are doing it can also be very dangerous. What I mean by that is you can leave your cloud open to anyone if you are not sure on how to secure it properly. That can lead to many bad things like accessing your devices and all your info. They offer ways to secure your cloud storage, but if you don't understand it, it can become very annoying quickly.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
You have to remember that the larger the HD is the longer the seek and write times are. In other words the more storage it has, the longer it will take to actually write the files to the drive and longer to find, locate and read the data on the drive.

You also want to consider is it a USB2.0 or USB 3.0 or both. USB2.0 speed tops off at about 480Mbps, and USB3.0 tops off at about 5Gbps. You have to also consider if your pc is able to utilize USB3.0 or not. Those are the top speeds for the USB2.0 and 3.0, but you will never actually see speeds that high. Reason for that is there are other things being sent and used during the transfer of data.

Personally, If your just using it for back up, it would depend on how much storage you need. I would go for the 4TB drive, less hassle with having to many HDs. I hate swapping out HDs when I am looking for things. This HDD has DLNA, and UPnP, which are nice. My only concern is that I think its a green drive :(. I hate green drives. They advertise it at 7200RPM, but it works as if it was a 5400RPM drive or lower. Reason for that is green drives are more concern with energy consumption.

Thanks Rock, I have a 3tb drive from the last purchase last time and it's has .97TB free left from all the series that I posted. I'm going to need another drives soon to put more series. I guess 3-4TB sounds good to get. I never really look into the speed thingy but I'm hoping it's not a big disadvantage when I use it.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Cloud storage is nice if you like to be able to download, upload to your hdd anytime you like. Only problem is sometimes setting it up can be a hassle. If your not sure what you are doing it can also be very dangerous. What I mean by that is you can leave your cloud open to anyone if you are not sure on how to secure it properly. That can lead to many bad things like accessing your devices and all your info. They offer ways to secure your cloud storage, but if you don't understand it, it can become very annoying quickly.

I'm going to have look into that more than. Thanks for letting me know.

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
Thanks Rock, I have a 3tb drive from the last purchase last time and it's has .97TB free left from all the series that I posted. I'm going to need another drives soon to put more series. I guess 3-4TB sounds good to get. I never really look into the speed thingy but I'm hoping it's not a big disadvantage when I use it.

If your not really doing anything that requires good speed, then go for the HDD that has more room. I multitask a lot on my pc, so having things be fast and responsive is nice for me. I have tons of HD movies that are in a range of 4Gb up to 30Gb, (Stupid 1080p and 4k resolution movies) so I run out of room quickly. Not to mention all the games I have on my pc :cry:. Right now I have about 500Gb worth of games alone. Most of them I have not even played yet, but its there for when I do have the urge to play it.

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
I'm going to have look into that more than. Thanks for letting me know.

You can also setup the cloud storage as a at home thing only too. So you can use it at home and not have to worry about security. Only disadvantage of that is you can't access the drive from anywhere you want, which doesn't bother me. remember the could drive is only as fast as your LAN. Which ever is the weakest link, is usually what your network speed is running at.

Rock, spitting knowledge. Dude, what 4 year programs should I look into if I want to work for microsoft or a similar company?

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
Well it depends on what you want to do. If anything, get a Bachelors in Computer Science. I am planning on going back and getting my Bachelors degree this coming fall. Every job interview I had with in the last year all wanted someone with a Bachelors degree. I only have my Associates :cry:, so they didn't want me.

Computer science is such a vague description. It comes down to basically what do you want to do. Do you want to do software engineering, system architecture, programming, Web designing, Database administration. There are many more options then what I have listed. Best option is to see what is offered in your area and pick one that suits you best.

I want to start off 70k to 100k. What one would that be? With a bachelor of course? I know microsoft start you off about 70-80K entry level engineers....

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
There is no IT jobs out there that start you off at 70k-100k a year. Entry level IT jobs start at about 40k-60k a year. The reason for this is, the more experience you have working in the field, the more you are worth. My problem right now is, all the jobs I interview for want people with 5+ years of experience for the jobs around here.

Entry level salary is about $20-30$ an hour.

More experience you have under your belt, the more valuable you become.

3 years of experience can get you $$30-$50 an hour.

5+ years of experience can get you $50-100$ an hour.

I was interviewed for a job that was paying $75 an hour. Didn't get it because I lacked the experience and didn't have my Bachelors degree. :cry:

There is no IT jobs out there that start you off at 70k-100k a year. Entry level IT jobs start at about 40k-60k a year. The reason for this is, the more experience you have working in the field, the more you are worth. My problem right now is, all the jobs I interview for want people with 5+ years of experience for the jobs around here.

Entry level salary is about $20-30$ an hour.

More experience you have under your belt, the more valuable you become.

3 years of experience can get you $$30-$50 an hour.

5+ years of experience can get you $50-100$ an hour.

I was interviewed for a job that was paying $75 an hour. Didn't get it because I lacked the experience and didn't have my Bachelors degree. :cry:
Thanks for the info rock this helps me a whole lot when I'm choosing a career path. I"m also considering something in traditional science, like biochemical engineering, chemical engineering, nuclear engineering and so forth. Heck, I can live with 40-60k as long as there's perks. But I"m shooting for 70k a year cause I want to be able to afford the lifestyle I want. Petroleum engineering makes you 6 figures, btw.