Shopping Suggestion/input

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
Np Happy. My instructor when I was going to school was offered IT jobs from various companies and they were offering him $150k-200k a year and he turned them down. He wanted more time with his family, so its understandable why he turned them down.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I'm turning towards Asus for my laptop brand. I did a little research on laptop and tablet and figure I'm better off getting a laptop for school and traveling. I prefer one with a hard drive installed and not those without because they want to make it super slim or light. I don't mind the average normal weight laptop because it better to have all in one then to carry more extra portable things along with it. Love to hear your comments and suggestion, Happy? Rock? :D Anyone who cares to give input. :)

3703007_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

BestBuy

15.6" Full HD touch screen for hands-on control
4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4500U mobile processor
8GB system memory for advanced multitasking
1TB hard drive for ample file storage space
NVIDIA GT 745M graphics
Weighs 6 lbs. and measures 1.1" thin
Brushed-hairline-aluminum finish in black
Dragon voice recognition capability
Backlit keyboard for easy typing in dim or dark locations
DVD/CD burner

It's not a bad choice at all. But, may I say, you are paying a premium for the touch-screen feature. If you can do without it, you can get a laptop with way better specs for about the same price, i.e. more RAM, higher resolution, more storage capacity, and a better graphic card. Also, you can purchase a laptop with the same specs but for a lower price. Also, for this price, you can get yourself a premium tablet (touch screen) with practically the same screen size.

You have many options available at the 1100.00 price range.

For me, I don't want to pay an extra $200-300 for a touch screen feature on a laptop.

Also, know exactly what you'll be using it for so you can find the best specs. I think 4GB is enough if you plan on just watching movies and listening to music and playing flash games. Get higher specs if you care about performance cause shit will lag if you try to load more than two programs running i5 processor, 4GB, and no dedicated graphic cards.

The reason I got my Lenovo IdeaPad was because I wanted to make sure I can run anything I want at a reasonable performance. I use it for everything and wanted to make sure it can do that so I opt for high specs. It even had JBL speakers and it sounds real nice.

I think you're more into the bells and whistle, so definitely something that has the features you want, i.e., like the cool design and touch screen. Just don't expect much from the performance.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...ryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=7#tab=buyingOptions
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-va...=7776364&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=2&lp=4

Hey honestly, what exactly are you using it for? Now that know your price range, I like to help out. You don't have to get the higher specs if you aren't even gonna use it. Mind as well just get a pretty one.

Last edited:

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
Is the laptop just for school and every day use? Any high end gaming or video/photo editing?

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Is the laptop just for school and every day use? Any high end gaming or video/photo editing?

Hmm, I want to be able to play decent gaming, not just flash games.
I really love the backlit keyboard, pretty much cause it looks pretty to me. :)
Just love to have a hard drive just in case I need one along the way.
Touch screen is in, so I figure it's handicap if my laptop is missing it.
I already have a tablet, so having the screen a little bigger is a plus, probably not the 17 inch for a laptop though.

A Dell sounds nice at first with a cheaper price tag but I heard some bad reviews compare to an Asus so I don't know.
Choosing a laptop is totally frustrating. :D

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Hey Happy, can you compare the Asus with the Sony you suggested?
Isn't the graphic card better on the Asus?

I grew up on Dell, they make great budget laptops and their customer service and warranty is stellar.

Hey Happy, can you compare the Asus with the Sony you suggested?
Isn't the graphic card better on the Asus?
Since I know what it is you're doing with it, and your requirements and price range, I will help you look. I will have a list in a few hours. Although, I think you picked a winner already since it has everything that you're looking for.

Last edited:
I would go for this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...54&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=1

The 256GB SSD sold me. It will be blazing fast to load and run programs. It doesn't have more than that though so u would not be able to save a lot of movies files unless you plug in an external or flash drive . But the resolution is super HD, 3200 x 1800, perfect for watching movies in high definition. The graphic card is the low end, but not bad. It just enough for movies and games, but don't expect ps4 graphics. Look at the video...

The design is very fancy, to your liking. The screen can flip backward and it can become a tablet.
It has touch screen and backlit keyboard. If you can overlook a few things, this is a great choice for an extra benjamin or two out the door.

Its also feature pack with a bunch of goodies like motion control and Dolby speakers, man I want one lol....check it out.

Any of the top 3 of that list will work for me.
download.jpg

Last edited:

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
All those are nice, but way over priced in my opinion. The reason it cost that much is because they come pre-loaded with tons of software that you never need or even use. 8GB of RAM should be more than plenty for multitasking (most I ever use at one time is 6GB, that includes converting videos, listening to music, streaming, playing games, having multiple browsers open, and downloading all at the same time).

As far as GFX cards go, the better they are the faster they drain your battery. Some won't even work unless you have the laptop plugged in. You'll even run into problems if the laptop comes with both built in GFX card a dedicated card.

As far as brands go, ASUS is more of a gamer brand, Dell/Lenovo is more of a business brand, Sony is more of a graphical design brand.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
All those are nice, but way over priced in my opinion. The reason it cost that much is because they come pre-loaded with tons of software that you never need or even use. 8GB of RAM should be more than plenty for multitasking (most I ever use at one time is 6GB, that includes converting videos, listening to music, streaming, playing games, having multiple browsers open, and downloading all at the same time).

As far as GFX cards go, the better they are the faster they drain your battery. Some won't even work unless you have the laptop plugged in. You'll even run into problems if the laptop comes with both built in GFX card a dedicated card.

As far as brands go, ASUS is more of a gamer brand, Dell/Lenovo is more of a business brand, Sony is more of a graphical design brand.

Very informative Rock. It will definitely help me out on my buying decision.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I would go for this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...54&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=1

The 256GB SSD sold me. It will be blazing fast to load and run programs. It doesn't have more than that though so u would not be able to save a lot of movies files unless you plug in an external or flash drive . But the resolution is super HD, 3200 x 1800, perfect for watching movies in high definition. The graphic card is the low end, but not bad. It just enough for movies and games, but don't expect ps4 graphics. Look at the video...

The design is very fancy, to your liking. The screen can flip backward and it can become a tablet.
It has touch screen and backlit keyboard. If you can overlook a few things, this is a great choice for an extra benjamin or two out the door.

Its also feature pack with a bunch of goodies like motion control and Dolby speakers, man I want one lol....check it out.

Any of the top 3 of that list will work for me.
View attachment 2057

It's nice Happy, but we're just paying for the looks now. :)
Thanks for helping me with my decision making, I really appreciate it.
I will update on what I come up with.

Toshiba

Dell

Between those two, which one has better graphic card?
The price range is better than the Lenovo if I downgrade on the graphic card.
Toshiba has the drive. They're both almost the same.
So anything amazing from the Dell where I should buy it?
Obvious choice would be the Toshiba, without question. They both have on-board GPU (cheapest). In my opinion, for this price, you can get a tablet that's faster better resolution but without the keyboard and cd-rom drive. However, its not a bad purchase if you are looking for something under 900 dollars. I suggest you wait and save a few hundred bucks though.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Obvious choice would be the Toshiba, without question. They both have on-board GPU (cheapest). In my opinion, for this price, you can get a tablet that's faster better resolution but without the keyboard and cd-rom drive. However, its not a bad purchase if you are looking for something under 900 dollars. I suggest you wait and save a few hundred bucks though.

What about the Lenovo for a grand that I asked you about previous?
Tablet just missing what a laptop can give me as for the whole package.
I wanted everything built in already.