What Is Your Favorite Khmer Dessert?

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Cambodia: Num Plae Ai – Khmer Traditional Sweet.

“Kill Husband Cake” aka Num Plae Ai.
Num plae ai (ផ្លែអាយ) or glutinous rice balls with sugar candy filling is a kind of Khmer traditional sweet. The cake is made into small slippery rice balls with palm sugar filled. It is a kind of special sweet for sugar lovers.

Num Plae Ai – Khmer Sweet aka “kill husband cake”.

The origin of its name is uncertain. Num means cake, plae means fruit, and ai is just a word of name. So it's to be translated as ai fruit cake which we don't know what is ai fruit.

According to a Khmer legend, num plae ai has a another name as ‘kill husband cake’. A wife preprared num plae ai for her husband to serve in order to kill him because he has betrayed her by having a love affair with anther woman.

The filling of num plae ai is very sweet and the sticky rice flour cover is slippery, so it’s easily get stuck in the husband’s throat and cause him to choke. However, the reality proved that there is no such danger serving num plae ai.

View attachment 417
Recipe for Num plae ai.
Num plae ai is very easy to prepare, here is how.

• Ingredients
- 250 g sticky rice flour
- 100 g palm sugar candy: cut it into small cube pieces (about the size of your finger tip)
- young grated coconut

• Preparation
Mix sticky rice with about 100 ml of water, then the flour turns into a form of soft that we can make it into any shape. Now make it into balls of about 1.5 cm in diameter, then insert the sugar cube into the ball as filling.

Have a pot of boiling water ready on fire with moderate heat. After the ball is inserted with sugar cube, put it into the pot, when the balls float up, they are cooked. Take it out to another bow of cold water. One minute later, drain it out to a basket with holes. The process is continuosly like this.

Num plae ai is usually packed up in a package made of banana leaf which look very nice. Each package contains 5-7 balls and is top with young grated coconut.

Break the ball with one bite, you will immediately feel the special sweetness of num plae ai.
Hunnie,it is easy for you because you used to make them and your master chef mom just right there next to you to tell you step by step. I think it would be hard for someone like me that never them before. I remember when I was in Thailand I ate those all the time because I just love the taste of sugar palm. I just need to move to your next door neighbor

Ironfingers

Commoner

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Can anyone tell me how to make Thai pineapple fried rice? The easy way please. Thank you

Sorng

Commoner
Num plae ai is one of my favorites! I also like sweet rice cake that kinda brownish. Does anybody know how to make it?

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Can anyone tell me how to make Thai pineapple fried rice? The easy way please. Thank you

Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
(makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
2 shallots (sliced)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 red chili (chopped)
1 red pepper (diced)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
3 tablespoons chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
3 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup cashews (roasted)
3 cups cooked rice (preferably a day old)
1 cup pineapple (cut into bite sized pieces)
1 cup shrimp (cooked, optional)
1/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup currants (or raisins)
2 green onions (sliced)
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the shallots, garlic, chillies and red pepper and stir-fry until fragrant, about a minute.
3. Add the egg and stir-fry for a minute.
4. Add the chicken stock, fish sauce, curry powder and sugar and stir-fry.
5. Add the cashews and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
6. Add the rice, break up any clumps and stir-fry for a few minutes.
7. Add the pineapple, shrimp, peas and raisins and stir-fry to mix them in.
8. Remove from heat and serve garnished with chopped green onions and cilantro.

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
Durian shake and egg soda are my all time favorite drinks at Khmer restaurants. More than half the people I know hate them lol.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Durian shake and egg soda are my all time favorite drinks at Khmer restaurants. More than half the people I know hate them lol.

I like eating durian, I will definitely like the shake if it's not too fake in taste. Real fresh durian shake is good, but not the powder stuff used to replace it. Egg soda, I never try it. Maybe I should, just to see how it is. But then again, the place I tried it at, might make it nasty or don't do it right. :D

Cambodia: Num Plae Ai – Khmer Traditional Sweet.

“Kill Husband Cake” aka Num Plae Ai.
Num plae ai (ផ្លែអាយ) or glutinous rice balls with sugar candy filling is a kind of Khmer traditional sweet. The cake is made into small slippery rice balls with palm sugar filled. It is a kind of special sweet for sugar lovers.

Num Plae Ai – Khmer Sweet aka “kill husband cake”.

The origin of its name is uncertain. Num means cake, plae means fruit, and ai is just a word of name. So it's to be translated as ai fruit cake which we don't know what is ai fruit.

According to a Khmer legend, num plae ai has a another name as ‘kill husband cake’. A wife preprared num plae ai for her husband to serve in order to kill him because he has betrayed her by having a love affair with anther woman.

The filling of num plae ai is very sweet and the sticky rice flour cover is slippery, so it’s easily get stuck in the husband’s throat and cause him to choke. However, the reality proved that there is no such danger serving num plae ai.

View attachment 417
Recipe for Num plae ai.
Num plae ai is very easy to prepare, here is how.

• Ingredients
- 250 g sticky rice flour
- 100 g palm sugar candy: cut it into small cube pieces (about the size of your finger tip)
- young grated coconut

• Preparation
Mix sticky rice with about 100 ml of water, then the flour turns into a form of soft that we can make it into any shape. Now make it into balls of about 1.5 cm in diameter, then insert the sugar cube into the ball as filling.

Have a pot of boiling water ready on fire with moderate heat. After the ball is inserted with sugar cube, put it into the pot, when the balls float up, they are cooked. Take it out to another bow of cold water. One minute later, drain it out to a basket with holes. The process is continuosly like this.

Num plae ai is usually packed up in a package made of banana leaf which look very nice. Each package contains 5-7 balls and is top with young grated coconut.

Break the ball with one bite, you will immediately feel the special sweetness of num plae ai.

......Thank you... this is very educational and funny too.... I wonder... do they have a desert that is called 'Bless Husband Cake'...for those guys who are honorable?.... (Thank Jesus,...if I marry... she'll never have to make num-plae-ai!...smile)
....or...say... how about a New Khmer desert that translated would be called 'Bless wife when she's sick'... I think a few husbands could learn alot by making it!... smile...

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
oh god you know how to cook that dear?

Fried rice is the easiest dish to cook, my friend. Different nationality fried rice just changes a little on the different sauces they use but most of the ingredient is pretty much the same thing. Just add and take off what you like. I'm not much of a fried rice person though, more of a noodle person. :D I like noodle soup or stir fry noodles. I think cooking is easy, doesn't matter what it is, it's just time consuming, that's why I hate cooking. I don't like to be in the kitchen slaving over a hot pot. :D Unless I'm really craving that dish. I can pretty much look at certain dish at the restaurant and be able to throw in something at home similar to it. Crab fish maw soup is a challenge but I manage it because I was craving for it badly. :D Youtube videos pretty much tells you the basic of many dishes and you can cook it to your own liking and it'll basically comes out good. Lets just say I'm a quick learner. ;) But my interest isn't into cooking. Like you always said, we all have our own passion in life.

My boyfriend just brought me two king crab to eat. I ate one tonight all gone already. Probably put the other crab meat in some fish maw soup tomorrow because I feel like drinking some soup. :D I can cook sometimes, but I don't enjoy cooking everyday. I like dinning out. :)